I was visiting friends in Kingston a few years ago and we went Lotus Heart Blossom, this quasi-Indian vegan/vegetarian place. I saw Mexican hot chocolate on the menu and, loving the recipe for Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, had to try it. It was so delicious that I asked the server how it was made. She told me that their chef had made it up based on – that’s right – the cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.
The original version has coconut cream and vegan dark chocolate, but I work with what I have on hand, which is usually left over coconut milk from cooking.
Coconut Hot Chocolate
Source: Adapted from Lotus Heart Blossom who adapted it from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
Ingredients (for 2 cups)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of milk (I used regular cows milk but almond milk is also delicious)
- a small handful of chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- a pinch of chili powder
- Heat coconut milk and cows/almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chocolate chips once milk mixture has started to steam. Stir until melted and combined (you might need a wisk for this).
- Add almond extract and chili powder and stir to combine. Remove from heat and enjoy!