Okay, this might not look like much because it’s a terrible photo, but this is probably one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. It was what I made for my girlfriend the first time I made her dinner and it’s what I made last night for a welcome back dinner for a friend (Hi Cecily!) I would recommend serving this with a salad or something else fresh and green.
Source: Smitten Kitchen
- 6 cups soup stock (I use a vegan veggie one)
- 3 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 dry white wine
- 1 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped (I’m often lazy and omit this)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tsp grated lemon peel (2 large lemons will give you both the juice and the peel)
- several leaves of basil to garnish
- Bring the soup stock to simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cover to keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter and the olive oil. Add shallots and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir for one minute. Add wine and stir for 30 seconds or until it is absorbed. Add 1 1/2 cups broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Repeat 1/2 cup of broth at a time until it is all absorbed (about 30 minutes total).
- Stir in cheese, remaining butter, lemon juice and peel and parsley if using it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with basil, serve and enjoy!