In the meantime, I wanted to introduce you to these sweet potato fries and this mayo. We’ve been getting lots of squash, root vegetables and potatoes in our organics box, and I was so excited to get sweet potatoes this week!
These fries are a bit long on the baking time, but don’t require a lot of prep, so they’re perfect if you’re multi-tasking. You could easily make these vegan with vegenaise, and they’re a perfect side or on their own with a salad. You can also add other spices – cumin and chili powder come to mind – along with the salt and pepper.
Sweet Potato Fries and Roasted Garlic Mayo
For the fries
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the mayo
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tsp olive oli
- 1/2 cup mayo
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To prep the roasted garlic: remove any loose skin from the head of garlic, and then cut about 1/2 an inch off the top so the tips of the cloves are exposed. Drizzle the olive oil over the tips, and then wrap it in a piece of tin foil. Put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- To prep the fries: peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into fries, about 1/2 inch in width. Toss them with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on the baking sheet.
- Once the garlic has been roasting for 30 minutes, add the sweet potato fries to the oven as well. Bake them for 30 minutes, flipping them once in the middle.
- Remove the fries and the garlic from the oven and set the fries aside to cool a bit. Take the foil off the garlic – the cloves should be soft and spreadable and HOT, so watch out. Squeeze them out of the skin into a small bowl, using your hands or a small spoon. Mash them with the back of a fork, and then add the mayo. Mix it all together.
- Serve the fries with a scoop of mayo, and enjoy!